With the Community's help we have been able to purchase the last working farm in our hometown of Columbia, Maryland and protect it from ever being developed! We are now working to transform this 6.4 acre organic farm into a Community Ecology Center where people can learn through hands-on experiences about how they can lead happier, healthier, more connected and sustainable lives. Community-based ecology centers such as this have the power to transform communities, conserve the environment, and bring people together with a sense of hope and purpose for the future. This endeavor will be of special interest for those who want to support and engage in experiential education related to: environmental sustainability and climate action; naturalist and ecological knowledge; regenerative agriculture and permaculture design; health, nutrition and wellness; and cultural land heritage.
This fundraising campaign is focused on helping the Community Ecology Institute have the operational resources needed to transform our new urban farm into an innovative asset for the community. We have recently hired a part-time Executive Director and look forward to being able to bring Dr. D'Amore on full time as well hire additional staff to develop and lead community programs and education opportunities. The operational needs of running a farm are also substantive and this particular property is a "diamond in the rough" that needs a lot of TLC to bring it into its full potential. Monthly sustaining donations are especially helpful as we seek to develop a steady operating budget. Please consider making a pledge today to support CEI monthly for the next year. If 400 people gave $20.20/month as a part of our 20:20 Visionaries team we would make our our $100,000 goal for the year. It is going to take a village to get from here to there and we are grateful for any treasure (as well as time and talent) you can share!
Here are the ways we are looking forward to thanking you for your support!
- 20/20 Visionaries – give a $20.20 monthly donation ($242.40 over the year)
- An honorary, unrecorded, 20” * 20” square of the farm, making you a 20*20 “stewardship stakeholder” of the property.
- You will be invited to an event to decorate a large garden stake, including your name if you would like.
- A printed aerial photo of the farm and certificate that can be made out in your name or given as a gift.
- Invitation to a “Stewards Association” of active CEI supporters. This community will receive special updates and invitations and opportunities to engage in regular dialogue around the growth of the farm.
- Big Picture Tree Planters - give a $50 monthly donation ($600 over the year)
- All of the above
- Two newly planted trees you can commemorate in appreciation / celebration of a person or family of your choosing. You will be invited to an event in the spring where you can select your trees.